Upon our arrival home from our Christmas cruise, we discovered our home was flooded from a cracked under-sink water filter connection.
Due to water streaming throughout the house, the moist air created a perfect environment for potentially harmful mould spores to grow everywhere. All the carpet was pulled up and much of our belongings have been thrown out. Furniture was destroyed along with shoes, and practically anything that was close to the floor level didn't escape destruction from the dreaded mould spore.
Asking questions of insurance experts, the general consensus appears to be that mould is the "new" asbestos. The authorities are unsure as the severity of future mould spore claims.
We haven't risked messing with mould. You should not either. Our sanitising system kills this horrible microorganism.